Training Regulations

Canadian Ultralight Pilot Permit

In this section, we offer general information on regulations specific to recreational ultra-light flying. Always consult the current regulations available from Transport Canada.

The training required to obtain a Canadian Ultralight Pilot Permit is provided in both ground training and flight training. The Ultralight Pilot Permit allows you to fly both basic ultralight aircraft (BULA) and advanced ultralight aircraft (AULA. Minimum age for the permit is 16 years but training can begin with a student pilot permit at 14 years of age.

The permit allows the pilot to fly recreationally during daylight hours and only during VFR weather conditions (see definitions below). If you want to carry a passenger then you must get a passenger carrying endorsement on your permit. This requires an additional 5 hours of flight training.

Ultralight Pilot Permits do not expire but you must continuously maintain certain self-declared medical standards. These medical requirements are listed below.

For detailed information, download the following PDF documents below. It is in PDF form so you will need the Adobe PDF reader to view.

Medical Requirements

Although Medical standards required to fly ultra-lights in Canada are relaxed when compared to Private Pilot (or highter) medical standards, you will still need to complete a self-declared medical form and forward that form to Transport Canada for processing.

Ultralight pilots are required to hold a valid class 4 medical certificate when exercising the privileges of a flight permit. Medical certificates for ultralight pilots are valid for a 60-month period and must be renewed thereafter. For more details, contact us or your regional Transport Canada office.

Ground Training

Student pilots are required to complete a minimum of 20 hours of ground school instruction (given by a qualified ground instructor) on the following subjects:

  • Air Law
  • Navigation
  • Meteorology (Weather)
  • Aeronautics - General Knowledge (airframes, engines, etc)
  • Emergency Procedures

In addition, student pilots must obtain at least 60% on the Transport Canada written exam ULTRA (sample exam can be downloaded below). The Study & Reference Guide will provide all the subject material required for study in both ground and flight training.

Flight Training

This is the best part! You will be required to complete a minimum of 10 hours of flight instruction under the supervision of a qualified instructor. 5 hours minimum must be dual instruction and you will need to fly a minimum of 2 hours solo. Most people need more dual and solo time prior to passing a flight test. Also, you will need to do a minimum of 30 takeoff and landings with 10 as the sole occupant (solo).

Pilot's Holding a Current Pilot License

If you are the holder of a valid Canadian Private Pilot License (PPL(A)) or higher, you meet the qualificaitons necessary to fly the basic and advanced ultralight but you will still need to complete 5 hours of flight training on type. This is required by both Transport Canada regulations and our insurance provider.